Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  [GIMP 2.6] Making a gradient outline, for your headers
Ishimaru Chiaki #1 11/02/2009 - 22h48

Class : ID Admin
Registered on : 12/11/2007
Sex : Female

Offline Mail Www

This tutorial is based on GIMP 2.6.x version.  In this version, all shortcuts are done via the central window.

Hello Gimp users :)

As Kilsek requested on Forumotion support forum, I make this mini-tutorial on how to make a gradient outline, just like the one in this header

This is my first tutorial for the 2.6.x version and all screenshots have been taken while under a Ubuntu 8.10 live session since I haven't upgraded my Ubuntu 8.04 yet.

Now let's begin !

First of all, take a dark color as background color.  For this, click on square corresponding to the white square on this pic :

Posted Image

Choose also a light color as foreground color (corresponding to the black square in the pic above)

Then create a new document (File > New) and set the dimensions as 780*150 pixels

Posted Image

You now have your new document.

Posted Image

Before we go further, let's make a new transparent layer for this outline, so you can touch it up later if needed.  For this : Layer > New Layer

Posted Image Posted Image

Now, you will need to delimitate your outline 10px from the edges.  For this, you will have to use guides.  Click on the rulers (top ruler for horizontal, left rules for vertical), then drag your cursor on your pic to make a guide appear.  Don't hesitate to zoom, to make sure you position them well.

Posted Image

For the gradient outline, you will need two horizontal guides and two vertical guides.

Here's what I've got :

Posted Image

Then take your Rectangle Select Tool Posted Image and make your selection using the guides :

Posted Image

We want to make an outline, so we'll border this selection : Select > Border

Posted Image

Then set it to 1px

Here's what we've got (400% zoom) :

Posted Image

Now, we're ready to make our gradient outline.  For this, we'll use the Blend tool Posted Image.  But we must first set the gradient to Foreground to transparent.  If your gradients tab isn't already open, open it (Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Gradients)

Posted Image

Then choose FG to transparent

Posted Image

Now you're ready to make your gradient.  Place your cursor on top of the selection, then while you keep Ctrl key pressed to have only 15° multiples angles, click and keep the mouse button pressed while you drag your cursor to the bottom, like this :

Posted Image

Now, disable your selection (Select > None) and here's what you've got up to now (I hid the guides) :

Posted Image

Now, it's up to you to decorate your header with some texts, a logo and some effects, and even add a navigation bar at the bottom of your header, which will give an even better look.
Back to my Ubuntu, RIP Hardy, welcome Jaunty !
My portfolio (only available in French for now)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Kilsek #2 13/02/2009 - 16h30

Class : ID Active
Registered on : 14/12/2007

Offline Mail Www

Excellent

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).